The Socorro Islands (Revillagigedos Archipelago) are an amazing dive destination that we had the good fortune to visit in February aboard the Solmar V. Often overshadowed by their perhaps more famous eastern Pacific cousins Cocos Island and the Galapagos, they are certainly a world class destination in their own right with some amazing diving and big animal encounters.
Humpback Whales, Dolphins, Manta Rays, Tuna and Sharks (Hammerheads, Galapagos, Silky, Whitetip, Silvertip, Whalesharks) are frequent encounters and these islands can claim to have some of the most diver friendly animals we have ever experienced. The Dolphins and Manta Rays in particular appear to actively seek out diver interactions with the later basking in the jacuzzi created by divers bubbles.
Unfortunately due to bad weather we didn't manage to visit Roca Partida which is one of the three main islands of the archipelago and where the Solmar V went on to experience 2 months of in water interactions with a Humpback Mother and Calf. Oh well, it looks like we'll have to go back again one day then doesn't it!! :)
Filmed by: Simon Spear & Zoe Spear
Edited by: Simon Spear
Music: Requiem For Your Soul / Smartsound Royalty Free Music
Note: This was our first trip diving and filming with the Sony FS100 and Amphibico Genesis housing. We experienced significant issues with both the camera and the housing which meant that 90% of the footage we shot was basically useless. This film has been made from the remaining 10% that was salvageable. The majority of the footage is from the FS100 while the surface shots and a couple of underwater clips are from the Canon 7D. If you would like to know the issues filming underwater with the Sony FS100 and the Sony NXCAM range in general then please feel free to contact me.